Drop down menue

Thursday, 26 February 2015

Review: Throne of Glass


Throne of Glass
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I picked up Throne of Glass in hope of a fantasy fix as well as a good douse of criminal debauchery, and found myself very disappointment.

As far as assassins go Celaena is surprisingly lackluster.
We're told over and over that she's the worlds best assassin but all I saw was a girl who likes reading,fancies dressing up, terrorizing other courtesans and likes puppies.
Her past haunts her but only on occasion,her character lacks depth and consistency.

I'm a little sad about how underdeveloped Dorian was,I genuinely like his character-maybe more than Chaol- but his brief appearances are mostly meaningless fluff. I hope he develops a backbone because I think having him as a prince in the story would be more productive than having him as a love interest.

Chaol is probably the most consistent character.I haven't brought myself to like him because lets face it he's too good of a guy to have a happy ending.So I'm trying to attach myself.
Or so I thought but he's Chaol It's impossible not to like him.

I was recommended the book based on pacing and plot and this was what both made and broke the book for me.

Mass is a very good writer,there were many passages in which her quality of writing truly blew me away.Countless times I was lulled deeper and deeper into the story despite it's increasingly plodding pace.
Weeks are thrown aside in convenient recaps,even Mass didn't consider her duels and the competitors deaths worthy of more attention because they were truly boring.

The plot was achingly simple just as the games.The magic was interesting but underdeveloped.Precocious time was wasted on Celaena whinning,reading and unceremoniously contradicting her very character.

The books saving grace really was the writing and promise of potential. Celaena has the history to be great. Dorian has the heart and Choal the bravery.
I want to read the rest of the series because I want too see an improvement.Despite it's problems it's a good story.







View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment