Drop down menue

Saturday, 7 March 2015

Review: The Last Guardian


The Last Guardian
The Last Guardian by Eoin Colfer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



You know its surprising how arduous it is to read the last sentences of your favorite childhood series ever. And I mean I cant be the only one who cried right? Right....?

Picking this up I couldn't help but think back to the first time I was taken away into little 12 yr old Arty's very first artifice,I was sitting outside a kerbside cafe on Dong Khai Street,in the sweltering heat of a HO Chi Minh City in the summer.
I was a little girl again squealing at his ingenious plans and artful trickery, I realize now how much growth Eoin has incorporated into Artemis as the story moves along.
He went from a 12 year old criminal mastermind to a young, questionably insane, man with friends and a family he cares about.

"I would not be the person I am today." He leaned in close and whispered, "I was a broken boy, and you fixed me. Thank you.”

I dont know if the sentimental connection I have to the series got the best of me or if I was finally starting to grasp what was about to happen. but I am not at all ashamed to say that by that point I was well and truly crying. I had to take a moment to collect myself so I could witness the impending doom Arty was walking into. That one line...it just broke me.

“So if you're not Artemis Fowl, then who are you?"

The boy extended a dripping hand straight up. "My name is Orion. I am so pleased to meet you at last. I am, of course, your servant."

Holly shook the proferred hand, thinking that manners were lovely, but she really needed someone cunning and ruthless right now, and this kid didn't appear to be very cunning.
I even liked Orion in his useless short time with us in The Atlantis Complex.

Orion brightened. "I have an idea."

"Yes?" said Foaly, daring to hope that a spark of Artemis remained.

"Why don't we look for some magic stones that can grant wishes? Or, if that doesn't work, you could search my naked body for some mysterious birthmark that means I am actually the prince of somewhere or other.”


Oh how I love you.

But back to the cured Artemis we so love,
“Card five hundred and thirty-four," repeated Artemis. "Of a series of six hundred standard inkblot cards. I memorized them during our sessions. You don't even shuffle." yeah this one.

I loved the ending It was really took me to a place I needed to be with the series ending.
I can go back and re-read these stories, keep encased copies to share with my children and keep the story of a mysterious irish boy and his wild adventures alive.
So someday I will remind myself of all the fun I had reading them.

So yes, I'm sad having to say good bye,but glad to know there always there.

“That will be her undoing," gasped Artemis, already suffering under the weight of the flak jacket. "Artemis Fowl will never be secondary."
"I thought you were Artemis Fowl the Second?" said Holly.”





View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment